How To Keep Your New Year’s Resolutions

New Year’s Day is one of the best times to implement a new healthy lifestyle. Though the day itself is pretty arbitrary, it’s a good marker for making the changes that you really want to make in your life. However, most of us make New Year’s resolutions, but very few of us keep them for the whole year. This year however, can be different. This year, with some smart strategies and a positive attitude, we can make sure that we keep our new year’s resolutions and have the best year of our lives. So here is a guide to making and keeping your New Year’s resolutions!

New Year’s Resolutions Are Hard To Keep

Of the 62% of people that make New Year’s resolutions, only 8% ever actually keep those resolutions. Those are not great odds. However, they shouldn’t be discouraging. In fact, thinking about the 92% of people that fail to keep their resolutions can actually be pretty motivating. First of all, it shows that if you didn’t keep your resolutions last year, it doesn’t mean you are a failure. Most people can’t keep their resolutions and that’s okay. The effort to change goes further than we ever give ourselves credit. Secondly, know this helps take some of the pressure off which can actually help you achieve your goals without stressing.

How To Make Achievable New Year’s Resolutions

24% of people fail to keep their New Year’s resolutions every year. One of the main reasons they fail to do this is because they set unrealistic goals. Instead of setting unobtainable goals, really prioritize what is important in your life. For example, if you are looking to get into shape, instead of setting a weight loss goal you should set a goal to eat healthier and get more exercise. If you do these two things, the larger goal of weight loss will naturally happen. It’s easier to keep these strategies because they are something you can implement as a lifestyle change, rather than a goal you can fail at achieving. Positive lifestyle changes are about the journey and not the destination.

Make A List Of Your Resolutions

How To Keep Your New Year’s Resolutions

Writing down your goals makes them more achievable. Studies have shown that writing down your goals makes you ten times more likely to achieve them. First of all, writing down your resolutions helps you really understand your goals. Writing them down also helps you understand the steps you can take to achieve them. Secondly, writing them down gives you a reminder of your goals so you can reference them as you go through the year. So don’t just write them down, post them somewhere you will see them everyday like your bathroom mirror or refrigerator. Then every day you can assess whether or not you are taking the steps you need to achieve those goals.

Set A Mix Of Goals

Achieving success and the lifestyle you want is a process and not a destination. So when you are writing out your goals, think about both small goals and large goals. Small goals like organizing your pantry or taking a daily vitamin are easy to achieve. Once you achieve them it will give you the confidence to work toward your much larger goals. These smaller goals can also act as milestones to achieving your larger goals. Also, go ahead make it long and add a variety of things. That way rather than trying to keeping one or two resolutions, next year you can look back on your list and see all the various goals you did attain. That will help you tackle the next set of resolutions with confidence.

Don’t Let One Slip Up Set You Off Track

One of the biggest things that keep people from achieving their goals is letting their progress be defined by one slip up. For example, if you are trying to cut back on sugar and then have a day where you eat a bunch of ice cream, it doesn’t mean that you completely failed. One slip up doesn’t mean that you should abandon your goals. Instead, let yourself make mistakes, it’s okay. You can start again tomorrow. Again think about your goals as a process and not a set of clearly defined parameters.

Reassess Your Resolutions In The Spring

How To Keep Your New Year’s ResolutionsWhen you get to the springtime, take a minute to reassess your New Year’s resolutions. Maybe you met some of your goals already and can up the stakes. If you’ve resolved to spend more time with your kids on the weekend and you have been successful, maybe add a few weekdays. On the other hand, maybe some of your goals were too lofty and need to be retooled to fit your lifestyle. For example, if your goal was to save $50 dollars a week, and you found out you can’t afford to do that; you don’t have to give up on saving. Just change your goal to $10 or $25, whatever you can afford. That way you are still meeting the goal to save. Reassessing can help you really stick to your goals.

These simple steps can help you make sure that you are one of the 8% that keeps their resolutions this year. So when making your New Year’s resolutions follow these tips so that you can have a better chance at reaching your goals. Always remember that success is a process and not an end goal, so any positive changes you make, no matter how big or small, will help make your life better.